Monday, November 7, 2011

naBloWriMo Day 6

NaBloPoMo 2011


Sunday, 6 November 2011
Today's Prompt: My Free Choice

This seems to be a good topic during the month of November: Thankfulness and Gratitude.

"We do it because we can." "We give because we can."

I heard these many times while growing up, usually from my Mom, and always in conjunction with an appeal for donations for some charity, whether it be for our time or material goods.

When I got old enough to think it through, I asked why. Why did we give? Why was that so important to her?

Mom's answer was simple: By giving some away, that's how we say 'Thank you' to the Universe for blessing us with what we have.

I still do that, but I prefer to give anonymously if I can. I also tend to choose to give to things that have meaning to me, like the county food shelf, or other various organizations. I definitely like to keep it local if at all possible, though.

I'm so very grateful for all the good things I have in my life. I'm so very lucky to have enough that I can share joyously, even if sometimes it doesn't seem like much. Even on the worst days I know that things could be oh so much worse, and that what I consider to be my biggest problem of the day would be a dream situation for someone else. Sure, there are days where I have a bad case of the "I wish we could have ______", but I take a moment to remember that at least for that day, that moment, I have enough.

Powerful thought, that.

For that moment in time, I have enough.

And then I remember to tell the Universe, "Thank You."

No comments: