Monday, July 19, 2010

101 in 1001 progess

I don't know whether it's because I'm not in school or that I picked attainable goals this time around, but so far it's going well.

So far, these are done:

#89 Eat 1 serving of fruit a day for a week: This was finished because of that Live Fit thing (or whatever it's called) from Steve's work. The goal was to eat between 5-9 servings of fruit/vegetables a day. I only hit that goal 1 day, but I'm finding that I don't mind eating some every day. I may have to expand my repertoire beyond bananas & apples sometime, but for now I'm good.

#95 Try 5 different kinds of apples: Speaking of apples, I tried 5 different ones. Some I liked more than others, but at least I tried them.

Here's what I tried & my initial reactions:

  • Fuji (sweet, then BAM! tangy-made my eyes water there for a second)

  • Royal Gala (reminded me of a cross between Golden & Red Delicious)

  • Jazz (like a Red Delicious, but tart-er)

  • Braeburn (That 1st bite was hooo-boy tart, but I think they're pretty good otherwise.)

  • Pink Lady (Tangy, but sweet. The aroma reminded me of something, but I can’t think of what. Some kind of flower, I think. My friend Christie recommended this one, so I put it on the list)


#100 Start a Tumblr: I look at a few Tumblrs when I have time, and thought they were pretty neat. I have a "Random Things that Catch My Eye" photo album on Facebook, but sometimes I come across things in the Tumblr world that I want to save too. My tumblr is: http://daughteroftime.tumblr.com.

The title is "Somewhere Between Here and There" because that's pretty much how I'm feeling right now. I'm done with school (still waiting for my diploma to show up) but haven't really readjusted to normal/civilian life yet. I frequently feel like I'm caught in the inbetween, which isn't such a bad place sometimes. It's fairly normal for me. For much of my life I've felt like that's where I belong, if that makes sense. Even as I appear immersed in something, there's always a part of me that's separate, dispassionately watching, observing, and analyzing. It's all good.


What's In Progress:

#16 Paint hall storage closet & set up shelves: When the house was painted when it was being built, the painter used flat paint. EVERYWHERE. Now, I'm not a painter, but you know, even I know that flat paint =/= everywhere paint. Especially not white flat paint in closets, because every scuff, ding, and mark is shown. So, the solution was to repaint.
Well, I mixed a quart of satin into a quart of some of what we had left over from the Kid's room, but the color was OMG BLUUUUEEEEEE!!!! still, so no. I mixed in more white. No. (Although it closely resembled a Martha Stewart paint color that I like)

Yesterday the Kid & I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a gallon of semi-gloss in a light tan color (she assures me that's what it is. It does not look tan to me, but it's in the color family that I can't differentiate between very well, so I have to trust her). Said trip to Wal-Mart was, er, um...yeah. Let's just say I won't be a frequent shopper there.
Last night I put the first coat on...and we have a WINNAR!!!! I just have to go back over the corners and hit the high spots & the closet will be ready for shelves.

Good thing I like to paint.

#37 Watch 101 Movies: I made it to 50 movies on my last go-round, and I already know I'm not big on watching TV or movies at home. So, yeah. So far, though, I've watched "The A-Team" (the Kid thinks Bradley Cooper is "HOTTTT" so we went & used my passes I got at St Kate's) and "I Love You, Beth Cooper" (glad I got it for free from the library...just sayin').

#38 Read 101 Books: My reading tastes have apparently changed. This is not bad, just vaguely annoying. I've patiently waited for the better part of 7 (SEVEN!!!!!) years to be able to read what *I* want to read, and not what my professors think I should be reading. I've stocked books on my shelves in the knowledge that SOMEDAY I'd be able to read them. *Sigh* (edited to add: yes, I know that I can just take a bunch to Half Price Books & trade them in...and I did for a bunch already. I'm just finding my way again...one book at a time)

Also, I run a Summer Reading Bingo program for Teens & Adults at my library. I participate too, and really stretch myself to read books that I might not normally pick up. So far so good. I really like "discovering" new authors/series/books/genres that before, yeah, I'dve walked right by. So there's that. All in all, I've read 6 books since 4 July, so I'd say I was doing OK. Better yet, I've enjoyed all of them immensely.

Next up? Dunno. More house stuff while I'm on a roll. I definitely need to light a candle at Mass this week. When the Kid & I got caught in edge of that tornado that went through by the Monticello/Anoka area on Saturday night, I remember thinking that a candle was definitely in order (it was not a good few half-eternities in time).

Here's a link to my Day Zero site, which I will probably update on a task-by-task basis.

No comments: