Monday, December 27, 2010

10 in '10, or What I Learned in 2010

What a year. I'm almost as glad to see it be done as I was 2009. And that's saying something.

In 2010, I learned lots of things. However, just like my Mom used to tell me, life's lessons tend to run in the same theme until a person successfully works through them. I'm hoping that I passed the test(s) this time.

In 2010:


  1. I learned that sometimes it IS about the destination. The journey, nifty as it may be, is not necessarily the focus.

  2. I learned that sometimes a situation deteriorates to the point where it's time to "not be nice" (from Roadhouse, one of Mom's favorite movies), and that when that time comes, it's best to stand my ground and not go along to get along anymore.

  3. I learned that sometimes letting go, no matter how hard it is, is the kindest thing to do.

  4. I learned that it's OK to ask for and receive help, that I don't have to try and hold it together on my own.

  5. I learned that it won't kill me to try new things...and that I may end up liking them.

  6. I learned that it's about progress, not perfection, and that having a "B and Done" attitude can be OK. Hard, but OK.

  7. I learned that friends can make (almost) any awful situation bearable. Mostly.

  8. I learned that coming back to a normal life is way harder than I thought it would be...but I'm getting there a day at a time.

  9. I learned that when there's no more "have-to" reading to do, trying to remember how to read for fun (and staying awake long enough to do so) can be a tricky business.

  10. I learned that all my creativity did not, in fact, completely desert me; it only went dormant for awhile.



Most of all, I learned that I can get through anything with a little (lot of) help from my family and friends, which is a pretty good thing to learn.

No comments: