Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Use It or Lose It: Round 1

Buried in the side of the Closet of Doom were a couple of curtain rods that I'd originally bought last July to put in my husband's home office.


I could only find 2 at the time, but then he decided that he didn't want curtain rods (he has a sort of set of 3 windows in there), but wanted something like what I'd done in the laundry room instead.

I thought maybe I'd use them in my office instead, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. The more I looked at them, though, the more I thought they'd be too dark against the lighter colors.

Then one day I was walking down the hall and looked at the living room curtains and thought, "I really should take those down and wash...HEY! Those curtain rods would be PERFECTLY PERFECT IN HERE!!!!!" And, even better yet, the curtain rods that were currently in the living room would be PERFECTLY PERFECT in my office.

Here's where we started:

Living Room

Living Room

My Office

My Office

It should have been easy enough...but there were a couple of things I didn't forsee. Like the fact that to get the curtains back on the window in the living room that faces the driveway would be near impossible without taking down the brackets and threading the rod through first. Or the whole measuring thing (that always gets me, though).

In the end I perserved, and now have nifty looking curtain rods in the living room and actual curtains/curtain rods in my office.


Yes, I know the center bracket is off-center. It's where Steve's brother had originally put in the rod that's now in my office. We figured it'd be easier to re-use as many holes as we could. I can live with it...for now.




This is probably why Steve hates doing any home improvement projects with me. They tend to snowball. 'Install 2 curtain rods' became 'take down the living room curtains and curtain rods, then install 2 curtain rods, then install the 2 rods that were just taken down in another room, oh and add curtains'. And yes, it took about 3 hours. I don't think it would've normally taken that long had I not had to go back and re-do the shorter living room wall in order to thread the rod through the bracket BEFORE attaching said bracket to the wall.

Whatever.

It's DONE! And I like the darker rods in the living room against the red curtains. And I LOVE that I have curtains in my office. That helps finish a room.

USE IT=1, LOSE IT=0

No comments: