Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Things on a Stick: Thing 31-More Twitter Part 2

What does your Twitter page say about you? How does it reflect your personality? Have you given people enough information about you so they have some sense of who you are as a person?
What does my Twitter page say about me? I dunno. I change the background whenever the spirit moves me. I do need to change my avatar again, though.
As for giving information about myself, well, I'm not really fond of doing that. It's just one of my quirks. My bio reads: "Minnesota Librarian, MLIS grad student, mom, wife, who's daring to disturb the universe 1 day at at time (as a member of the #hashtagmafia)", which pretty much only scratches the surface of who I am and what I do. I think it's enough to start with, though. ;)

Explain how you are using Twitter and how it fits into your social networking strategy. What kind of people have you found on Twitter?
How I use it? Asked and answered in part one, counselor. As for what kind of people have I found on Twitter? Um. Well, there are all kinds, that's for sure. I follow other librarians, authors, book publishers, other MLIS students, a cat, a dog, television channels, actors, churches, news reporters, museums, Santa Claus and other people I've met along the way. I am followed by all of the above plus some bots, some people whose mommas named them names with letters AND numbers,... let's see...stores, and dunno who/what else.

At what Twitter stage would you say you're at?
Like I said in part 1 of my answer, I'm somewhere inbetween #4 & #5. I 'get' how it's cool. I also understand that Twitter is hard to explain to someone who doesn't get it. And that's OK.

What do you think Twitter is?
Twitter really is whatever you want it to be. Regardless of what some say, there aren't any rules about how to correctly use Twitter. The only rule is that you get 140 characters at a shot.
When I first started using Twitter, I had a hard time finding people to follow that didn't already have a gazillion followers. There's something to be said for interacting with others on a more personal level. That's why I don't use the autoreply/autofollow apps. It's not a numbers game with me. As for how I find people, well, sometimes I search, sometimes I look at who others are following, sometimes someone will find and follow me so I follow them back, and sometimes we meet by coincidence. But all of the people I interact with make me laugh, they make me sigh, and they give me something to think about. And I'm so glad I gave Twitter a chance.

No comments: