Sunday, May 31, 2009

More Things on a Stick: Thing 32- Google Maps and Mashups


View 2009 MN Chaos U16 Games in a larger map

Describe the type of mashup you created.
I created a map that shows all the locations that my daughter's summer softball team will be playing this summer. After I get the directions to the actual locations of the fields, I can add those in and then put it on the team's website.

Did you find any mashups that interested you?
Of course. The art ones, the London ones, the old map one, the one that showed where I'd end up if I dug a hole straight through the center of the earth (I'd end up at 44°57′11″S, 085°57′55″E, which is located in the southern part of the Indian Ocean, just north of Antarctica) & others.
This would've been useful when I studied abroad in Scotland, right before my senior year at St Kate's. My method of "Gee, wonder where this road/bus/alley goes" worked OK, but considering I had limited time to go see things, I probably could've planned it better. And, with the fast food mashable map, I'dve been able to find a place that had Diet Coke WITH ICE without so much hassle. That's a whole 'nother story though, and in retrospect, it all worked out in the end.

Can you see a use for mashups at your library?
Sure-these are so versatile that the possibilities are endless. We could make one showing the different branches in the system and add the hours & phone numbers right in the description-and that's just one use right off the top of my head.

1 comment:

SAMMIE said...

Lisa,

You have been a busy blogger. The extended deadline to complete More Thinga on a Stick is June 20, 2009.

Robin
SAMMIE