Wednesday, October 1, 2008

101 Things in 1001 Days: September 2008 update

Well, I've been pretty good about doing the 101 things...not so good about actually blogging about them (obviously). I was thinking about it the other day, when doing an assignment about virtual communities for the Library 2.0 class I'm taking this fall term.

The 101 things in 1001 days site is where a person could post their list, and then others can go look at it and maybe follow the progress. So, in a way, that's kind of a community...if I squint hard enough. So, why am I not following through and blogging about this experience? Dunno...maybe because I don't think others really care what I do (or don't do) during these 1001 days (lots less now...). At the same time it is kind of cool to see my progress, or lack of in some areas.

Here's what I've done:
#6-get mutual funds transferred: yeah, done in April, so I could finish closing out Mom's estate...just in time for this great week on Wall Street. Wow-hope the kid gets lots of scholarships for college!
#8-Watched Season 2 of Digging for the Truth-honestly, watching TV is not my favorite thing to do. I'd so rather be reading (for fun, not for school), so this one took awhile. Funny thing is, I really enjoyed the episodes...
#19-took books to Half Price-yep, lots of mom's books=no space on my own bookshelves. So, I took them to Half Price books in the hopes they'd find good homes.
#27-Donate hair to Locks of Love-Both the kid and Mom grew out their hair and once it got long enough, donated it to Locks of Love. Then, they started asking when I was going to do the same. After growing out my hair for a year, I finally donated ~13" to the cause...and no, I'm not growing my hair out that long again anytime soon. I'm glad I could do such a small thing to help, but my hair is really heavy when it's that long...
#55-Donate $1000 to Higher Ground--glad we could help (more than we already do). Higher Ground is a Christian Music festival put on by our parish in Winsted, which helps raise money for both the Holy Trinity parish & schools. This was to help keep it alive for one more year...it's a good cause.
#56-Listen to the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, read by Simon Jones-love the reader...liked the stories (loved the sarcasm and wit).
#59-replant plant--the kid had started a plant in a milk container in her science class at school. When she brought it home, I'd intended to replant it right away...really. But, I didn't. When I did, it took off like nobody's business. Makes me feel kind of bad, holding it back like that.
#61-Join both ALA & MLA-yup, did that. About time to renew my dues, probably. I'm still not sure if being a member of either will help me in my professional life or not.
#63-Edit a Wikipedia article--just did this as part of the 23 Things on a Stick program. It's probably one of the lamest edits ever, but hey-I did it, and can go back and add to it.
#65 B-Make a 20-item anti-procrastination list and do all 20 items in one month's time--I chose some things off this 101 things list, and some others that just needed done. I almost didn't make the one month deadline-that last couple of days was interesting...Procrastinating on the anti-procrastination list...guilty as charged.
#67-Type out Goodwill donation list--did it the night before the accountant needed it for taxes. Shoulda done it before.
#74-Go get eyes checked--good news is that my vision hasn't changed much. I just really really don't like getting those damn drops in my eyes...they mess with my depth perception, and they hurt!
#83--Over Christmas break 2007, go see 5 movies--pretty sad I have to force myself to go watch movies...but I saw some good ones, and got to spend a couple of afternoons with the kid to boot.
#88--Read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--yeah, sad that it took me a year to get around to it, but I wanted to savor it, knowing it'd be the last one. I don't know if I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it, or what, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would be (HP and the Goblet of Fire is still my favorite). The great life lesson that can be learned from Deathly Hallows is the one about going to meet one's fate instead of being dragged kicking and screaming...true, so true.
#92--Catalog 25 books on LibraryThing--did that, plus more. I keep forgetting to go back and update the list, though...might be time for another anti-procrastination list. I like LibraryThing, I just forget I have it.
#93--Start a Library Blog--did that for a class last winter. The one I started is pathetic...I'm going to have to overhaul it. Oh, and actually update it!
#94-During Summer Break 2008, go see 5 movies in the theater--see #83 above.
#95-Walk to work 30 times--with gas prices the way they are, walking to work made sense...unless I had a full crate of books to take in. I found I actually liked walking to and from work because it gave me time to get mentally ready, and then to decompress. I didn't like walking in the rain much, though...
#100--Send Mother-in-law flowers just because--I sent her a bouquet of Gerber Daisies. I decided to add this to the list partly because I really do like my MIL, and partly because in the last year, a couple of people have died, and I realized that I hadn't taken the time to tell them how awesome they were while they were still alive.
#101--finish writing this list--oddly enough, when writing the original list, it was way harder to come up with 101 things I wanted to do. Even as I've been working on accomplishing things, I'm coming up with other things to add to the next list...and mentally smacking myself for adding to this list...

A good thing that has come of this was the finding of a quote (nope, don't know who by):

In the end, you'll find the
JOURNEY was the DESTINATION

And what a journey it's been so far...

No comments: