Monday, October 27, 2008

LIS 768: We are not them; They are not us. (Bonus free choice post)

A bit of background: I have iTunes on my home computer so I can listen to music while I'm doing homework. It's on shuffle, and because I have 539 songs, or roughly 1.6 days worth of music, it's anyone's guess as to what's going to be playing. I listen to lots of different kinds of music, so that shuffle feature gets really interesting sometimes.

Here's the scene:

Sunday afternoon, I'm working in my home library (the library in my house, not the public library I work at) on the group project, listening to my iTunes.

the kid: what's that song?
me: Da Doo Ron Ron by Shaun Cassidy
the kid: seriously, that is one weird song.

later that evening:

the kid: Dangit! I can't get that song out of my head!
me: what song?
the kid: that Shaun Cassidy song.
me: Yeah, I remember when my Mom bought me that record. I got it for
getting good grades that semester.
the kid: *Snort* You had records? Your mom seriously bought you RECORDS?
me: Uh, yeah. That's what music came on back then. Big ol' black records.
We didn't have iTunes cards back then, you yo-yo.
the kid: BWAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA (as she's pulling out her iPod)

Remember when records were replaced with cassette tapes? Then CDs? I do.

About 4 years ago, I was in a history class at school, and the guy next to me had just gotten an iPod. He brought it to class and was dinking with it instead of paying a whole lot of attention to the lecture. This was amusing to me, considering we sat in the front row. One day, before class, the professor was standing in front of us, and asked the guy how many songs he had (props to the professor for knowing what the iPod was-turns out he had one). I can't remember what the guy said, but I do remember the professor's response: "Wow. How things have changed. First there were records, then 8-tracks, then cassettes, then CDs. Now, it's all air!"

Yep. We are not them, they are not us. But maybe there's some middle ground there.

No comments: