Wednesday, August 17, 2011

365 Photos Day 227


227/365

For the past few days I've had a Spanish word stuck in my head. It's one of my favorites...I have a few favorite Spanish words that make me smile when I hear/say them. For the record, they are 'izquierda' (means 'left') and 'najaranja' (means 'orange'). I don't know why they amuse me, but they do.

But I digress. Like usual.

The word that's been in my head is "ojalá", which sorta kinda translates into "God willing" (it basically means "hopefully").

I remember the day I learned it in Spanish. The professor said that it's derived from the Arabic "Insha'Allah", which also means "God willing", or "If it is God's will".

It struck me as a really useful outlook to have sometimes. Sure, it could be used as a non-answer, but I think that it's more a recognition of how the universe sometimes works. I tend to view it as a "If the Universe wants it to be, it will be" kind of thing. If something is meant to happen, it will, both good and bad. I've always pretty much figured that there are plans for my life that I'm just never filled in on (or if I am, I need to have someone remind me), and that I just have to trust that it'll all work out in the end. And no, I'm so not an optimist, so it's not me doing the Pollyanna thing. One of Steve's favorite phrases is, "It is what it is" which is kind of the same thing.

This does not mean that I stand idly by wondering what's going to happen next. I know that everything I've done thus far in this life (both good and bad) has led me to where I am right this second. There's that other pesky saying about "God helps those who help themselves" that keeps me moving and learning and doing.

When the Kid didn't get crowned on Sunday, some people came up and asked if I was sad. No, I really wasn't. There was just an internal acknowledgement that this wasn't her time, and I was OK with it. When I talked with her about it all, I said that perhaps this was how things needed to be in order for better things to happen for her. Perhaps she'll have a fantabulous Fall Ball season for her softball team. Perhaps she'll run again next year, win, and be sent to Aquatennial the following year to represent Winsted.

Who knows?

All I know right now is I needed reminded of the life aspect of "ojalá" and/or "Insha'Allah". And again, message received and understood.

No comments: