Thursday, September 11, 2008

23 Things: Thing 15 Online Games and Libraries

Not too many hard-core older gamers come into our library to play their games on the patron computers...probably because the systems are too old and slow, and there's a 30 minute time limit if others are waiting. Also, many teens either have or know someone who has a gaming system, such as PlayStation, XBox, or the Wii; all of these have the capability to 'link up' with another system so multiple players can play together.

So, neither of the choices for this thing seemed too relevant for what I need or want to know about. Personally, I've played games on the PlayStation for years, and our family got a Wii this last winter. There are definitely games that are more fun when played with other people. My thought on Second Life was that I don't always have the time to do all that kind of stuff in REAL life...why would I want to go do it for 'fake' when I can't find the time to do it for 'real'???? (I do understand that it is popular, and that perhaps others are more fulfilled by it than I was).

What I did choose to go look at was Webkinz. This is a site that many of our younger patrons LOVE to use, and it has the same kind of community that the Pirate one or the Second Life game has. The premise is that when you buy a Webkinz stuffed animal in real life, on the tag is a code that allows you to go register your animal on the site. Once it's registered, then it has an online life, and can be visited and taken care of (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the basic premise).

No comments: