Tuesday, May 31, 2011

365 Photos Day 151



151/365

Today I attempted to match paint colors. I wish I could say it went brilliantly, but, yeah. No. It didn't.

The color on the paint can says it's Olive Branch from Hirshfield's. So that's the color chip I brought home...which is not the color that's actually on the wall I need to re-touch. Not even close.

When at the store, without the label or can or stir stick, I thought about trying to get other greens just in case the Olive Branch wasn't the right one. But I can't really tell the difference between some shades of green (like what I'm trying to match), browns, and greys. It makes it interesting sometimes.

I didn't know I had a problem seeing some colors until I was in the 9th grade and we were doing a color blindness test in Health class. Even when the teacher brought the card right up to me, I couldn't see the number I knew had to be there, at which point he said something along the lines of "Females aren't color blind." Ooooh-kay.

I do remember when I was 4 or 5, I asked my parents about our green cat. They of course looked at me like I'd lost my ever-loving mind and told me we didn't have a green cat. But I knew that cat was green. I would've sworn it on a stack of Bibles that cat was green (stripey with white and black). It wasn't until that day in Health that we put it all together.

Apparently it's not color blindness as such. It's a color vision deficiency. And yes, females can have it (obviously). Trying to sort these hues into order gives me a headache, but entertains my other family members greatly (because of course they can do it just fine).

It's not a big deal, just frustrating sometimes, especially when I'm standing in a paint store looking at the wall with the color swatches trying to find a particular shade that we need. Mostly I have Steve or Amanda help me, which works out, except when they're not there. Like today. I'm just going to have to either take the can or the stir stick in and see what color we need. Otherwise that wall will have to remain primer white.

And that green cat? According to my parents, he was actually grey. Go figure.

No comments: