Thursday, June 30, 2011

365 Photos Day 180


180/365

A couple of weeks ago I made 2 pies for the Pies for Dad fundraiser at our church. I also made some for Father's Day at our house. They were a big hit. People were asking for the recipe and telling me that they'd never heard of this kind of pie. Apparently it's a Southern kind of pie, at least according to the recipe that I'd found for it. I don't know...I didn't have it growing up, even though I had plenty of other southern foods.

Part of this was because of my mom's family background. They came up from the South after the Civil War and eventually ended up in Northern Central Washington. But the ways of doing things didn't necessarily get left behind, both upbringing- and food-wise.

For instance, I grew up saying "Sir" and "Ma'am" to older people, especially if I didn't know them. I talked with a sort of drawl that only comes out now if I'm really really tired (when I moved from Eastern Oregon to Western Oregon I was made fun of for the way that I talked, so I consciously "lost" the drawl).

One of my favorite foods is pickled beets, and I have yet to find a chicken fried steak as good as the ones that were served in the Blue & White Diner in the town I grew up in. Not only do I know what hominy is, I have a preference (yellow); I also know what grits are, and even though it's been awhile since I've had them, I know what to add to them (lots of butter and some salt). I'm not really fond of biscuits and gravy for breakfast, but they make a good dinner.

But this Southern Pies cookbook...oh my goodness. I'd like one of almost all of them, please and thank you.

No comments: