Monday, April 18, 2011

365 Photos Day 107



107/365

Today (well, yesterday by the time this gets posted) was Palm Sunday. The Lenten season is almost over. This week is Holy week, which means starting on Thursday, it'll be time for the Easter Triduum (Holy Thursday, or the Mass of the Lord's Supper; Good Friday; Easter Vigil; and ending with Easter Sunday). No, I haven't the faintest as to why it's called a "Triduum", when it's actually over 4 days. Because it is.

Anyhow.

Palm Sunday marks the "triumphant entry into Jerusalem by Jesus." And it's also the day the Passion reading is done. And it's about 3 pages long. Each year I take something different away from it, and this year was no different.

While listening, I thought that this is Jesus' big moment. The pinnacle of what he's been working for. He's definitely heralded as the new "it-guy".

But then it all goes haywire on Him. And he knows (well, that's what we're told, anyway) that it's going to happen. Even though there're moments where He's saying, "You know, I'm not sure I'm really on board with this...but if it's what's going to happen, then let's get on with it."

At first I thought, "You know, he's at the top of his game today, but man is the rest of his week going to suck eggs."

Then I thought, "But in the end, he kind of won, considering the names of his haters aren't household names. And he had enough class not to say, 'Who's winning now, you big jerks?'"

[Yes, I'm not very pious. Yes, I about drove the priest who was teaching my RCIA class nuts. Yes, I have a different take on the whole organized religion thing. And I'm OK with that.]

No comments: