Monday, September 5, 2011

365 Photos Day 243


243/365

Today was a tough day. Not in a really awful way, but just sad.

My boss, Sharon, retired from the library after 36 years of service. She said it was time, and that she wanted to enjoy the September sunshine because she hadn't been able to for years.

I have been so very lucky to have her for not only my boss, but a mentor, a second mom, and a friend. I know that there's no way that I would've been able to get through 7 years of school without her support and encouragement...and always working around my school schedule without complaining. She was the one who said (one fateful autumn day), "You seem to know your way around libraries pretty well. Do you want to come work here?" This simple question turned my life (and my family's life) upside down and inside out. And I'm so very grateful.

She let me test drive numerous projects and programs I worked on throughout my time in graduate school (chasing that MLIS degree), and would give me her honest opinion about what worked and what didn't, which generally helped me turn in better assignments.

It hasn't sunk in that she's not coming back to work at the library yet. Her last day was Wednesday afternoon (31 August), and she would've had the rest of the week off regardless. And everything is in flux right now regarding the "are we/aren't we combining libraries" that nothing seems normal anyway.

So, tomorrow morning (Tuesday, 6 September), it will be me who goes in to work instead of her. And I just don't know what I think about that yet.

No comments: