Tuesday, November 15, 2011

NaBloWriMo Day 14

NaBloPoMo 2011


Monday, 14 November 2011
I was terrified to go on DWTS, but facing my fear and overcoming it has been an incredible experience. Have you faced fears and overcome them?


Well, of course. Anyone who hates public speaking but gets up in front of a class and does it anyway has fears. Or hopes that even though s/he knows the answer, that the teacher calls on someone else so s/he doesn't have to speak out loud in class has fears. And both of those scenarios would describe ME.

I would turn about 70 shades of red, my mouth would get dry, I felt like I was talking too fast, the (Eastern Oregon but think a faster version of a Southern) accent that I worked so hard to get rid of would come back, and I would've sworn I was going to die.

Luckily for me, I had a really really really good public speaking professor in college, and learned to manage all that and make it through a few speeches without mishap.

This is actually a skill which has helped me immensely in my life, both in and out of school. In school for doing all the class presentations, and out of school as an advocate for my library.

I've mastered the art of doing either a prepared speech, or an impromptu one. I'm not sure which I prefer, but I can do either without getting too nervous beforehand.

So, although I probably won't be leaving my day job anytime soon to go on a public speaking binge, yes, I faced that fear and overcame it quite well.

No comments: