Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaBloWriMo Day 5

NaBloPoMo 2011


Saturday, 5 November 2011 (written on Sunday, 6 November 2011 because I didn't pay enough attention to the directions to notice that weekends are for free writing...d'oh!)

Today's Prompt: My Free Choice

The fact that I'm actually writing this on Sunday afternoon is a good jump-off point for a topic, I think.

This is pretty much the story of my life sometimes. The whole read-or-listen-enough-to-get-started-on-a-project-or-whatever-and-not-actually-listen-to-ALL-of-the-instructions-which-would-help-in-the-long-run-so-I-don't-have-to-reinvent-the-wheel-or-totally-mess-stuff-up thing part anyway. It goes along with my "eh, I'll just eyeball it instead of actually measuring it" way of doing things.

Unfortuately, the two are not compatible with my sort-of perfectionsm.
That dichotomy of thinking/doing/being is what makes me, well, ME, though.

One of my friends tried to get me to buy into the whole "B and Done" way of being when we were in graduate school together. For our program, anything less than a B was failing, so obviously a B was good enough to get through. I tried, but I couldn't do it. I just couldn't stand it when I'd get docked points for (what I considered to be) stupid mistakes. Especially when those points could be the difference between me failing the class or not (Yes, I graduated with high honors, but not with a 4.0 GPA).

It may seem I set myself up for failure because of those disparate ways of thinking, but it actually works for me. No, really. I'm learning to let go of the little(r) things that just so long as they get done, I don't care how or by whom. Even if they aren't done the way that I would have done them. Sure, sometimes I have to walk away so I don't have to see the process, but at least I'm getting there.

No comments: