Friday, November 18, 2011

NaBloWriMo Day 17

NaBloPoMo 2011


Thursday, 17 November 2011

Today's topic (about listing all my crushes & describing one) is not my thing, so I'll go with something different.

Like the weather. Can't go wrong with talking about the weather.

Apparently this weekend we're going to get a lovely storm. It will feature, among other things, snow.

I really don't like snow much.

Yes, I realize I live in Minnesota, which is the frozen tundra and all, and that yes, for part of the year there will be snow.

But I don't have to love it.

Where I spent the first part of my childhood, we were in a valley. Yes, there was snow during the winter, and lots of it, but there wasn't cold like there is here. I don't remember anyone plugging their car in at night to make sure the engine started in the morning. Where I spent my teenaged years (in Western Oregon), well, snow was a cause for celebration, because school would be closed. That was so awesome. "There's no school because there's a couple of inches of snow?" My Mom would ask. "Yep, and I'm going back to bed," I'd reply.

Here, though, it snows. And snows. And snows. And is really freaking cold. Last winter was kind of long. Who am I kidding? It was unreal. It was cold until the middle of May. Farmers couldn't get their crops planted until way late. I was bundled up watching the Kid play softball. It was long enough I was thinking maybe there'd never be summer again.

So, I tried to spend as much time as I could outside this summer, no matter how hot or humid. I was trying to store up the sunshine to last me through the coming months.

We'll see if it works.

No comments: