Monday, November 7, 2011

NaBloWriMo Day 7

NaBloPoMo 2011


Monday, 7 November 2011
Making family time is important to me. How do you balance your children, relationship, and work life?


How do I balance everything? Um, not very successfully. When I was in college from 2003-2010, it was even worse.

Mostly I tend to operate under a "what's on fire now?" way of doing things, which then leads to some stressful times. My ever-patient husband has said that I have a laser-like focus, which does come in handy sometimes, but other times, well, not so much.

He's right, I think. I tend to focus in on something to the exclusion of other things which may be just as important. It's something that I've struggled with for years. I'd like to be able to compartmentalize my life better, but at the same time, I know that's not exactly healthy either.

This has actually been on my mind quite a bit recently, as our daughter keeps receiving acceptance letter after acceptance letter from various colleges. It's becoming ever more real to me that next year at this time, she most likely won't be living here--she'll be in college living in a dorm. By going back to school when I did, I ended up sacrificing much of the time I could have spent with her as she was growing up.

I know there's a magic balancing point for all of this. I just don't know either what it is or how to achieve it.

No comments: