Wednesday, January 12, 2011

21 Days to Getting Organized Day 10

Day #10 ~ Getting Organized Challenge (Laundry Room/closet)

Organizationally speaking, I'm OK here. Aesthetically speaking, no. Flow-wise, no.

Some of the things in my home office were from the Laundry Room, remember? Well, it's because I had been working on it this last fall. In retrospect, I shouldn't have tried for that ONE. LAST. PROJECT. because, well, yeah. Now I have to live with it like this until Spring, when I can once again take up my paintbrush and roller and fix it.

When I had been painting it, I decided to remove the upper cabinet over the sink. I couldn't reach most of the shelves anyway (I'm 5'0" on a good day), and I knew the cabinet could be repurposed elsewhere (currently it's down in the basement). However, when the cabinet was taken down, it was apparent that the corner of the room was all dented where the cabinet had been, and that the drywall tape job was horrible (in fact, it was that corner that sent my husband over the edge. He called our builder, who brought back in the drywall guy to fix it. That's why in some of my pictures, you can see where the repair jobs are). ANYWAY.

I'd finished the painting before the drywall guy came in. I was going to do either a beadboard wainscoating or a board and batten on the lower part of the wall, which is why the green doesn't go all the way down to the bottom, over the orange (I loved that orange, but it was time to mix it up a little). Of course, now that I've had to live with it like this for a couple of months, I'm rethinking the green and contemplating a shade of blue so that I don't have to re-do the sink countertop too.

Before:









Now, the reason why the flow doesn't work very well is that the order things go in from left to right is: washer, dryer, sink. Um, yeah. I didn't catch that in the plans, otherwise I would have switched the washer & dryer so that the washer could be right next to the sink. Ah, well. This upcoming spring, when I'm working on the room again, I'll have to see if it's possible that the hoses and all that are long enough that I *could* switch everything.

During:

One of the things that I liked about how I had the laundry room set up before I started working on it was that I'd had the brooms & mops hanging up behind the door.
Because I sometimes have a mental block about doing things for a short-term gain, I'd just let them all stand behind the door and against the sink. This was not good.

Tonight I went downstairs to see if I had any 2x4's left from when I built some closet shelves this past summer, but alas, I did not. Undeterred, I looked around for SOMETHING I could use, and came across a whole bunch of beadboard planks that we used for the underside of our front porch. Hmmmm. It's worth a try, right?




Wooo! It works!



Then it was time to sweep the floor. This floor is soooo frustrating. It was black and white, and looked really good when I was picking it out. However, I can't get it clean. :( I moved the washer and dryer too, so I could sweep under them.



After:

I didn't have to do anything under the sink, because I'd already gone through those when I brought these bins home from the Dollar store.




I also washed off the tops and fronts of the washer & dryer (although it's not really evident in the picture).




1 comment:

Kristal said...

Girl, get your paint on and it will look amazing! Good job. Maybe one of those steam sharks for your floor? IDK.