Friday, January 28, 2011

21 Days to Getting Organized Day 21

I'm kind of sad that this challenge has come to an end...but happy that there'll be weekly challenges to keep me going. The house is definitely improved (except for a couple of rooms, to be dealt with soon) and I'm more at peace. I've also enjoyed visiting other people's blogs and seeing how they're doing. :)

Day #21 ~ Getting Organized Challenge (You pick!)

The "you pick" option always momentarily paralyzes me. I have to think about which spot needs it the most, which spot will give me the biggest improvement, which spot will be the PERFECT spot to do. However, I also remember the FLYLady saying of "You are not behind! I don't want you to try to catch up; I just want you to jump in where we are. O.K.?" which reminds me to just pick a spot and go.

That said, I really was looking forward to cleaning out my husband's office on Thursday night.

Here's what it looks like:





But he had to work on some things for the Knights of Columbus, so couldn't until the weekend. Well, dang.

So, I came back to my office, and looked around. And saw this pile by my desk:



I'd cleaned the rest of my office on Day 9, but had ignored this corner, because well, it was all CONTAINED, right?

But after having a nice clean desktop and office for a couple of weeks, this pile HAD TO GO.

So, with my normal supervisory crew in place, I started:



To start with I had 5 stuffed to the limit magazine holders, 2 binders, a big file folder, 1 big ziploc of house stuff, and a partridge in a pear tree. (OK, no partridge or a pear tree, but not for lack of trying).

I started with the magazine holder I stuff as much as I can into it put house project ideas I've sketched out on post-its, my lovely collection of paint chips, and other relevant house ideas in.



I sorted through it all, piece by piece. And recycled most of it



Here's the after(it's the black holder), with Izzy waking up long enough to come check things out:




Then I moved on to my library book-buying holders, where I put publisher's catalogs, notes to myself about good books, and various library related magazines.



And, recycled most of those as well.

Here's what is left from all I started with:



I decided to put the binders with my other library stuff, so it's all in one place, and put the remaining magazine holders under the table to create less visual clutter for me.



And then I put the pile of recycling in the bins:



Done! Now my whole office is clean! Yay!

While I was sorting things out, the top of my desk was crazy messy. I've become so used to having a cleaned off desk that it was really bothering me. Thank you, Toni, for hosting this awesome challenge. It's exactly what the house (and me) needed. :)



Since I'm done with this challenge, I get to say:

1 comment:

Sally said...

Yay for clean offices!! Good job! :)