Sunday, July 10, 2011

365 Photos Day 189


189/365

Superman could be felled by Kryptonite.

Cinnamon is my Kryptonite.

Which is entirely not fair because so many things that I like have cinnamon in them, like the French Toast I had at the restaurant we went to on Friday night.

I first knew something was up with me & cinnamon when I was a kid. When I'd chew Big Red gum, my throat would hurt afterwards. It wasn't until I was an adult that I figured it all out and realized that I felt like I did when I got stung by a bee (which is really really crappy and I start getting an anaphylactic reaction to the venom).

I was using an essential oil warmer, and had apple cinnamon oil in it. I was sitting about 2 feet away, and the longer I sat there, the worse I felt. My throat was all weird and felt kind of closed up, and my mouth was tingling. When I went to another room, I was fine. So, I figured it was just the smell and stopped using it.

It's been in the last couple of years that it's become worse, though, and has extended to other spices like nutmeg, allspice, and most of the good ones for baking.

So most of my favorite cookies are a no-go anymore (Molasses, Gingersnaps) and I can't have my favorite-ist birthday cake anymore (a homemade applesauce spice cake with buttercream frosting). Sometimes I think that if I'dve known the allergy would get so bad, I would've spent days on end eating nothing BUT those things.

No comments: