Tuesday, October 4, 2011

31 Days of Pinterest: Day 1 Laundry Room Subway Art


One of my main projects during the 2011 Home Improvement Season has been to repaint and redo the laundry room.

It started out orange, which I loved, with a black & white vinyl floor, which I don't love. The counter top is an aqua blue with boomerangs, kind of like a retro laundromat. It all worked together, but I was in the mood for a change.

So, I painted it a dark green last fall, and had intended to do the walls with board and batten and paint it a creamy white to match the existing trim. Unfortuately, I only got as far as getting the dark green up, which can be seen here.


I was sure this was a good thing. But then I decided to take down the cabinet over the sink because hey, it's not like I could reach anything in it anyway (I'm short). After removing the upper cabinet, it became apparent that the corner drywall had been crushed in spots when the cabinet had been installed. We had to have the drywallers come back in and fix it. By then it was Christmas 2010, and too late in the year to paint (we're in Minnesota. No way am I opening the windows in December to paint.)

Over the winter (long, long, long winter), I lived with the laundry room being two-toned and dark. Around Easter 2011, I reconsidered my dark green idea and decided to go with a lighter aqua blue. Even with just the 2 coats of primer on, it looked so much better.


Once I finished re-painting the walls, then I started to think about putting up artwork in there, even though I'm pretty much the only person who spends time in there.

When I came across this free laundry room printable over at the Simple Crafter's site, I immediately saved it, because seriously...PERFECT!!!! The colors weren't ones I'd have thought to use together, but they work.

My darling husband Steve printed off a poster size of this for me (24"x 36"), and I got a spiffy poster frame at Target. I wanted one that looked like a picture frame, and it was about $25. It was even the exact measurements of the poster, so I didn't even have to do any trimming. Good thing, too, because I really didn't want to.

I hung it over the sink, so it's visible from the hallway, and even though we're the only ones who really see it, it makes me happy.

To see my other 31 Days of Pinterest projects, click on the image below, and it will take you to my original post.

No comments: