Friday, October 28, 2011

31 Days of Pinterest: Day 24 Framed Key


I've looked for these kinds of keys for awhile, but finally found some at Michael's for $1.50 each.

My inspiration for this project was this (among so many others I've seen):
(Originally from Not Just a Housewife)

I found the unfinished oval wooden frames at Michael's.

I primed them both using Rustoleum's primer. I don't know that they needed it, but I knew I would be spray painting them with a glossy black, so I wasn't taking any chances.

I let the frames dry overnight just to be sure the paint cured well enough to keep going.

I tried different colored scrapbook paper behind the keys before I decided my best bet would be something neutral. I found a picture of some fabric I like and used that. I printed it off on plain white cardstock just to give the backing some stability.

Once I had the paper, I traced the outline of the cardboard backing that had come with the frames onto it. I then glued the cardstock onto that backing using a glue stick, again just for some stability. Then I used the tacky glue to glue the key to the middle of the paper. I put the glue on the spots that actually touched the paper. I may have to go back and run a bead around it, which would be fine because it dries clear.

The last step was to go find a picture hanger thingy for the back. I eyeballed where the middle was, and the level-ness of it and hammered in the nails. The right side looks loose, yes, because it is. I couldn't find my really little nails, so I used what I had. If I'dve hammered that one all the way in, it would've come out the front, which is not exactly the look I'm going for...

I really like how it turned out. I may have to repaint the edges of the frame because the spray paint didn't seem to take as well there, but that can be remedied with ribbon or craft paint.

To see my other 31 Days of Pinterest projects, click on the image below, and it will take you to my original post.

No comments: