Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days of Pinterest: Day 12 Wooden Bowl Thingy on a Pedestal



Yes, that's the official name of the project. Well, it's what I have it labeled as on my Pinterest board, anyhow.

I first saw this project on one of my favorite-ist blogs ever, The House of Smiths. No, it wasn't called a "wooden bowl thingy on a pedestal" there. It was actually in her Halloween decorating post from last year. Yes, I've been meaning to make one for about that long. Yes, I am a master procrastinator.

Although her wooden stand was purchased at the Salvation Army thrift store, the more I looked at it, the more I thought if I found the right components I'd be able to build my own. Or glue my own. Whichever.

I figured if I could find some wooden bowls and some flat topped candlesticks I'd be in business. I hit up two of my favorite Goodwill stores in search of the perfect ones, and found them for under $6 total.
The candle holders were $1.99 each, and the bowls were $.99 cents each.

Once I had everything together, I was looking at the bottoms of the bowls and the tops of the candleholders. The bowl has an indent that matched the diameter of the top of the candleholders pretty well.

I was looking at the candleholders trying to decide which would look better and/or be easier to do: put the flat side up (which is the bottom), or keep it like it was supposed to be, with the flat side down.


In the end, I decided to put the flat side on the bottom, and just glue the heck out of it all and let it set. I used my trusty Elmer's Wood Glue.


I set the bowl on the top, then flipped them over and set some scrap wood on them overnight to help clamp them for a better hold.

And here they are, all done. I thought about painting them, but I really like the natural wood colors, which actually match (not planned, just a happy coincidence).




To see my other 31 Days of Pinterest projects, click on the image below, and it will take you to my original post.

No comments: